Media, Retail & Advertising Product Executive | Big Data & Data Science Technologist | Entrepreneur
Marketing and Advertising | San Francisco Bay Area, US
Amit Seth is currently in the Board of Directors or Advisors of various startups and a VC firm at Silicon Valley. He was recently Executive Vice President, Global Media Products at Nielsen. In this role, he was responsible for leading Nielsen’s cross-platform advertising measurement and precision marketing products, and identifying new growth initiatives.
Prior to joining Nielsen in 2010, Amit consulted, coached and mentored CEOs, founders, and investors of early stage venture-backed companies as an EIR at the largest startup incubator in the Silicon Valley - Plug and Play Tech Center. He has over 20 years of experience across the Internet, TV, Mobile and Retail industries, also holding senior product management and business development roles at Yahoo!, Visto Corporation (now Good Technologies), Microsoft and IBM.
At Yahoo!, Amit pioneered content personalization and recommendations, and advertising optimization across all of Yahoo!'s assets. The initiatives he started at Yahoo! are now the cornerstone of the new CEO’s strategy for the company.
Additionally, Amit has 12 patents applied for in his name and also chairs a global forum on data mining that he founded. An entrepreneur bred in the Silicon Valley, he has been the founder and CEO of a successful behavioral data platform and targeting company, and helps startups and venture capital firms in advisory and board member capacities.
2012 - Present
Board of Advisors / Trident Capital
Trident Capital is a leading venture capital firm committed to empowering entrepreneurs to build innovative and industry leading businesses. Trident invests across multiple stages, from early startup to growth equity, in the Software, Internet and Business Services sectors.
Trident has more than $1.9 billion of capital under management, including its most recent fund, Trident Capital Fund VII, and has invested in more than 170 companies since firm inception in 1993.
Board of Directors / Proximic - Now a comScore Company
Proximic was sold to ComScore (Nasdaq: SCOR) in 2Q 2015. I helped pivot the company as a Strategy Consultant, and subsequently played an integral role in getting the company sold as Board Director.
Independent Board Member and Strategy Consultant at Proximic.
Proximic, which is backed by Wellington Partners, is the premier technology solution for brand marketers to achieve on-target audience reach in their native advertising efforts. Proximic helps achieve on-target audience reach via precise and configurable contextual information available in real-time in a programmatic environment.
EVP, Global Media Products / Nielsen
1. Led Nielsen’s cross-platform (across TV, Online, Mobile, Social) advertising measurement products, including Online Campaign Ratings (OCR) and Cross-Platform Campaign Ratings (XCR). Successfully launched OCR by leading it since its inception, which has changed the face of advertising in the digital arena by, for the first time, bringing accountability and cross-platform comparability to this very fragmented industry. OCR was brought about via a close partnership with Facebook, and few other data providers.
2. Founded and led highly successful precision marketing (targeting) initiatives, which leverage Nielsen's audience data assets across the Watch (media consumption behavior, including TV) and Buy (consumer buying behavior) divisions to affect better advertising for Advertisers, Agencies, Advertising Networks and Publishers.
3. Chartered with identifying new growth initiatives via forging joint ventures for data integration - creating new business lines using data from disparate sources, including new partnerships. Founded and led an initiative to tie consumer purchasing behavior with advertising exposure to help define clear ROI for advertising spend.
Board of Advisors / Nor1
Nor1 is an innovative Silicon Valley company that enables its travel industry partners to offer travelers an upgraded experience, while boosting the partners' bottom line.
Nor1’s sophisticated analytics is key to enabling the company to craft offers custom tailored for each property and, ultimately, for each consumer.
Board of Advisors / Groupiter
Groupiter gives you a web and mobile platform to create free, private groups, for whatever you're working on. Whether producing a blockbuster movie, gathering insights from your community, or building a well in Africa, you'll create better -- together -- on Groupiter.
EIR (Executive in Residence) / Plug and Play Tech Center
Consultant, coach and mentor to CEOs, founders and investors of early stage venture backed companies as a part of the portfolio of companies incubated by Plug and Play Tech Center, which is famous for incubating the likes of Google, PayPal, Danger, etc.
Additionally assist in deal flow of venture capital via a network of VC partners, like Sequoia, Accel, Norwest, Mayfield, Lightspeed, etc.
VP level in Product Management / Yahoo
3 major roles:
1. Strategy, Product Management, Engineering of Insights / Analytics areas for Audiences Division
- One of handful executives chosen to define the technology strategy for the new Yahoo!. Specifically led 'Insights' area strategy forumlation.
- Led the Audiences side Analytics teams in Product Management and Program Management areas, and Engineering in a matrix.
2. Strategy, Product Management of Insights / Analytics areas for Advertising Division
- Member of Panama (Yahoo!'s Performance Advertising Initiative) leadership team.
- Head of Product Management and Program Management for all data initiatives and platforms for Panama (Yahoo! Advertising Platform), including Business Intelligence, Fraud and Click-thru Protection, Data Processing and Warehousing, Data Marting, Reporting.
- Leadership in Behavioral Targeting arena for integration with Display and Performance Advertising.
3. GM of Data Driven Applications Group
- Head of services team chartered to implement high-value, strategic applications leveraging data mining technologies across various Business Units at Yahoo!.
- Implemented many data applications in the areas of targeting, recommendations, personalization and content optimization, ads optimization. Some examples are Yahoo! Shopping Recommendations, Yahoo! Travel Vacation Targeting, In-house Ads Targeting on Yahoo! Front Page and Yahoo! Groups, RSS Feeds Recommendations on My Yahoo!, Churn Reduction on Content Match, Cross Display and Performance Advertising Optimization.
- Led Research (Modeling), Product Management, Program Management and Engineering teams.
Head of Marketing and Strategic Alliances / Sonim Technologies
- Reporting to the CEO, headed up Corporate Marketing and New Business Development areas
- Responsible for strategic, technology partnerships in the wireless food chain
- Ownership of Convergence Business Unit - alliances, marketing and product planning
Senior Director, Business Development / Visto
- Directly forged strategic, technology partnerships (initiated, negotiated and signed contracts of partnerships) for Visto with Microsoft, Motorola, Sony, PalmSource, Palm, Handspring, Kyocera, Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, Arch Wireless, Verizon Wireless, Qualcomm, etc.
- Leverage partnerships to acquire Wireless Operator (AT&T Wireless, Orange, KPN, Bell Mobility, etc.) and Enterprise (GE, Sara Lee, etc.) customers
- Company able to raise two rounds of funding ($31 million and $50 million) based on recommendations/references from executive relationships developed by me at Visto's partners (like Microsoft, Motorola, Sony, etc.)
Co-founder, CEO / Ejadoo, Inc.
- Co-founder and CEO of company. Prepare business plan, raise funds, design technology platform, recruit board of directors and advisors, recruit executive team, run operational aspects of the company.
- Ejadoo provided a targeting platform by using intelligent data mining technologies with a core real-time platform to provide collaborative user profiling.
- Founding team was assimilated into Visto Corporation.
Data Mining Lead / Microsoft
- Lead data mining efforts for strategic business decision-making at Microsoft MSN TV. Lead several cross-departmental (marketing, finance, operations, interactive TV departments) efforts for projects like segmentation, churn reduction, user profiling, predictive modeling, dial-up costs analysis, etc.
- Major Achievement: participate in efforts via data mining methodologies to achieve significant cost savings (to the tune of $36 million per year) in the operational aspects of optimizing dial-up logistics at MSN TV.
Product Management and Services / IBM
- Manage release to market of a first version of IBM's data mining product. Further involved with improving product features and quality based on active feedback from customer base.
- Member of advisory team for proposing product roadmap for data mining and related products.
- Assist key accounts (Fortune 100 companies in various verticals like retail, finance, telecom, banking, insurance, pharmaceutical, and health) with strategic business decision-making using Data Mining methodologies.
- Responsible for recruiting best-of-breed business partners (SIs and ISVs like AMS, Price Waterhouse, Equifax, IMS America, Dunn and Bradstreet, etc.) to resell, develop and deploy solutions on IBM’s data mining technology.
Senior Systems Analyst / Tata Consultancy Services
- Technology Consultant, with specialization in Kernel/OS technologies, to Hewlett Packard (Tandem Division)
- Technology Consultant, with specialization in Telecommunications software, to Nortel Networks (BNR Division)